Look at the link below. This will tell you if chat service is available. If you are in immediate crisis and a chat specialist is unavailable, please call the Maryland Crisis Hotline at 1-800-422-0009, or if you are not in Maryland, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
If you or somebody you know is in immediate danger, dial 9-1-1.
What we do on Crisis Chat:
● Listen to what is going on with you today.
● Support you in a non-judgmental and compassionate way.
● Help you explore your feelings, thoughts, and options.
● Ask you questions about suicide and let you know that it’s ok to talk about suicide on chat.
● Explore positive next steps and options.
What we do not do on Crisis Chat:
● Give advice.
● Solve your problems.
● Tell you what to do.
● Judge or criticize.
Crisis Chat Etiquette:
● Use a computer with a strong internet connection to minimize disruptions in communications. Note: crisis chat instant messaging does not work well from a hand-held device such as a smart phone.
● Use respectful language.
● Stay focused on the chat and respond promptly.
● Limit multi-tasking (like chatting with friends, going on facebook, playing video games, etc.) while chatting.
● If you need to step away from the chat for a moment, let us know or end the chat and then come back when you have time.